Monday, June 11, 2012

SLIP Internship Memories

SLIP Internship - Courtney L. Glasker

            I had the opportunity to participate in the Atlanta Bar Association’s Summer Law Internship program for three very enriching summers; one was spent at McKenna Long & Aldridge, the other two, at the Federal Defender Program, Inc.  My diverse placement provided exposure to both the corporate and public service areas of law.  That first summer, I learned the importance of accountability.  This knowledge was emphasized through the keeping of a timesheet, but applied to every aspect of the professional environment in which I worked.  While working at the Federal Defender Program, Inc., I am grateful that I was able to gain practical skills through interacting with clients and filing documents at the courthouse, amongst other tasks. 

I remember looking forward to the mandatory weekly meetings that were held at the Atlanta Bar Association for the program’s participants.  In retrospect, while I believe the meetings were supposed to be mostly informative, as we often had guests speak about their respective practice areas, the meetings also served as a type of support group.  If only for a moment, we were able to come together and discuss the events of our week and receive encouragement, advice, and even correction when necessary. 

Although many benefits were gained through my participation in the internship program, the ones that I cherish the most are intangible; the sense of professional confidence which was instilled through the constant grooming, and mentoring and the lasting relationship with my very first mentors in the legal community, Wade Malone and Natasha Perdew Silas.  Ultimately, the internship program intensified my interest in practicing law and kept me focused on that path; I was put into a position that allowed me to see a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel, therefore I was able to hold on to the memory of its gleam when times were difficult.  I am currently in my last year of law school at the University of Louisville’s Brandeis School of Law.  I have nine credit hours standing in between me and my Jurist Doctorate degree.   

Years Interned: 2003, 2004, and 2005

Current Place in Life: 3L at University of Louisville’s Brandeis School of Law